23 days till Christmas! Yay! The season of goodwill, joy and… watching Matt Smith die in the Doctor Who Christmas special? NO!!! WHY!!! YOU WERE THE BEST!
But since you all know that (and if not then where have you been the last few months?), I have decided to look at rumours and confirmed facts about the Christmas special and Series 8, with Peter Capaldi (the Doctor with the best frown).
- The special will be called the Time of the Doctor, concluding a trilogy of stories (Name and Day of the Doctor being first and second).
- A poster has been released-
In the poster there is a bell tower pointing at 12, three Silences, a Weeping Angel stuck in the snow and Peter Capaldi’s eyes (YAY) in a fire by Clara (who is wearing a bow tie jacket). Lots to fit in!
- The monsters will be Weeping Angels, Cybermen, the Silence and Daleks (WHY?????????)
- A plot synopsis has been released. Sounds awesome! (From the Doctor Who website).
“Orbiting a quiet backwater planet, the massed forces of the universe’s deadliest species gather, drawn to a mysterious message that echoes out to the stars. And amongst them – the Doctor. Rescuing Clara from a family Christmas dinner, the Time Lord and his best friend must learn what this enigmatic signal means for his own fate and that of the universe.”
Could there be two good Christmas specials in a row? Could there? COULD THERE? We’ll find out in 23 days time.
- So we all know it’ll be the Twelfth Doctor and Clara next year, but rumours are that there will be a third, male companion (We’ll have another Rory! Rory was awesome!) One of the teachers shown at the beginning of Day of the Doctor in Coach Hill School will apparently be joining the TARDIS.
- A writer confirmed returning is Neil Cross, who wrote Rings of Akhaten (yay) and Hide (blargh). If the script in Series 8 is like the former, we should be getting great stuff. He also did uncredited script writing for Pacific Rim, the awesomest movie of the summer! Does that mean we can get Guillermo del Toro interested in Who? That…would…be…amazing.
- Speaking of film makers involved with Who, Peter Jackson (director of the Lord of the Rings, which I really really want to see), is interested in Doctor Who. A good script by Toby Whithouse or Neil Gaiman (who has also said he’s developing scripts), could mean an episode filmed in New Zealand.
- Other writers said to be writing scripts are Jack Lothian, Chris Chibnall (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship guy so yay), author Frank Cottrel Boyce (I know I’ve heard his name somewhere) and Tom Macrea-
GAH! But he’s got a new Doctor and new companion to work a brilliant script around. So I’m willing to let the past misstep behind if the episode is great.
So that leaves the question: why are Toby Whithouse, Richard Curtis or Paul Cornell not doing scripts? They’re some of the best writers that Doctor Who has. Don’t waste great talent!
So, those are some basic facts about upcoming Who. Looking forward to it!
Some of these facts were from Doctor Who TV, others from the Series 8 page on Wikipedia (I don’t know where they get their sources from).