Hello! tomorrow is Bonfire Night and everyone knows about fireworks and big bonfires and burning the guy. YAY!
BUT! How many of you know the true story, the GORY version? And why you shouldn’t burn the guy, but cut him into quarters? No? Well, come into my lair…
On 5th of November, 1605, James I was opening the first English Parliament when the guards found the Catholic Guy Fawkes in the cellar with 36 barrels of gunpowder (try to smuggle that into airport customs!). It turns out that Guy and some other people were trying to blow up parliament so they could make James’s daughter Elizabeth a Catholic queen and wipe out the Protestant rule.
BUT the plan failed miserably and the plotters were killed horribly. They were hung to near unconsciousness, then had their internal organs removed and burned, then the body was cut up into quarters.
- A Penny for the Guy? (mikesfilmtalk.com)
- Remember, Remember… (heartofenglish.wordpress.com)
- Guy Fawkes! :] (xjustanotherteenblogger.wordpress.com)
- QI does Bonfire Night (telegraph.co.uk)
- Throw out the pumpkins and light a fire for Guy Fawkes (telegraph.co.uk)